Repair, refurbishment and extension of listed estate with Michaelis Boyd Architects
This Grade II listed building was originally built in 1673, and remodelled by Sir Charles Barry around 1850 in an Italianate style, also adding a stable block and orangeries. The gardens were designed by Lancelot Capability Brown.
Given the historic importance of the building, we adopted the most sensitive repair and alteration methods possible.
We repaired many original timber crooked roof trusses and floor beams, that had suffered extensive death-watch beetle infestation and were in a state of near collapse. Reinforced resin repairs were used to avoid the removal of ceiling finishes, cornicing and original structural elements.
- Architect: Michaelis Boyd Associates
- Interior Designer: Willie Nickerson